As soon as we are approach Monsoon, many runners starts wondering on how to continue training. Just remember one simple fact that your skin is waterproof.
Running in Monsoon is not only fun, it's nourishment for soul. To enjoy Running in rain, your clothes matter. Please avoid cotton cloths. Use dri-fit(Nike) clothing for t-shirts, shorts, underpants(technical, synthetic) and Socks. When we are going long carry additional pair of clothing.....
Special Tips for Running in the Rain:
1. Do the warm up in dry area. Once you are warmed up then go out and enjoy rain.
2. Strictly wear technical material apparel top to bottom. Even your undergarments and socks should be of technical material.
3. Use vaseline on body as usual, although majority of it will wash away but still keeps the skin little greasy and reduces friction.
4. Roads are slippery. So take extra care while landing. Do not over stride. Avoid running through any oil spills on wet roads. It's very slippery. It's a good season to run on MAF HR
5. Avoid puddles or water holes. You never know how deep is that. A wrong step may lead to longer recovery rest.
6. Don't open your mouth to drink rain water while running. Make use of your bottle and Hydrate as per your thirst.
7. Bring a towel, change of clothes and jacket. Post run dry yourself, change clothes, and wear jacket to protect from winds and avoid any discomfort.
8. Dry your shoes by stuffing old newspapers or old cotton clothes inside both your shoes. Stuffing must be end to end from the toe box till the heel counter. And then tie the shoelace firmly. Replace the stuffing with another dry paper or cloth stuffing once more during the day or evening and keep overnight. Your shoe will be ready for the next day's run
9. Eat citrus fruits, vegetables rich with vitamin C during monsoon months.
10. If you are carrying your phone to measure your run, then make sure that it's wrapped in a sealed wrapper such as ziplock.
11. If you are carrying money and other stuff ( electronic car key) in hydration belt then make sure that that is also wrapped in a sealed wrapper such as ziplock.
12. If you have any discomfort, fever than avoid running in rains. Take rest.
13. We runners are privileged to enjoy this beautiful experience. Enjoy your run in rains, if you are lucky enjoy a hot beverage such as coffee or tea after run.
Integrated Wellness Coach
Life | Nutrition | Physical Coach